The mobile gaming market has emerged as one of the fastest-growing industries in recent years. The widespread availability of smartphones and tablets has enabled mobile gaming to reach a global audience, and the convenience and accessibility of mobile gaming have led to increased demand and revenue for mobile game developers. In this report, we will explore the global mobile gaming market trends, consumer spending, ad trends, hyper-casual games, and the ten most interesting mobile games for 2021. We have analyzed the report provided by data.ai and summarized our findings below.
Global Mobile Market Trends
The global mobile market has experienced rapid growth, with the number of smartphone users expected to reach 3.8 billion by 2021, up from 2.5 billion in 2016, according to Statista. This growth is driven by increased smartphone penetration and improved internet connectivity, leading to more mobile gamers. The global mobile gaming market has also experienced significant growth, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.5% between 2020 and 2023, according to a report by Newzoo. The report estimates that the global mobile gaming market will generate $98.4 billion in revenue in 2021, up from $86.3 billion in 2020, with further growth expected in the coming years.
Across the top 10 markets analyzed, the weighted average surpassed 4 hours 48 minutes in 2021 — up 30% from 2019. Users in Brazil, Indonesia and South Korea surpassed 5 hours per day in mobile apps in 2021. The average American watched 3.1 hours of TV a day, whereas they spent 4.1 hours on their mobile device in 2021.
Mobile Gaming Market Data
The mobile gaming market is rapidly expanding, with revenue expected to reach $110.1 billion by 2023, up from $86.3 billion in 2020. The increasing demand for mobile games has led to increased consumer spending, which reached $73.8 billion in 2020, up from $54.9 billion in 2019.
Consumer spending on mobile games is expected to reach $83.6 billion in 2021 and $95.0 billion in 2023. The mobile gaming market is also a significant advertising market, with mobile gaming ads having an average click-through rate of 3.3%, higher than the average CTR for non-gaming apps, which is 1.8%.
Hyper-casual games are a new trend in the mobile gaming market, characterized by their simple, addictive gameplay and low development costs. These games have become increasingly popular in recent years, with revenue from hyper-casual games reaching $2 billion in 2020, up from $1.3 billion in 2019. Hyper-casual games also accounted for 31% of all game downloads in 2020, according to a report by Sensor Tower.
Future Trends and Forecasts for 2030
Several trends are expected to shape the mobile gaming market in the coming years, including:
- Increased Adoption of 5G: The increased adoption of 5G networks is expected to improve the mobile gaming experience by providing faster internet speeds and lower latency.
- Integration of Augmented Reality: Augmented reality is expected to be integrated into mobile games, providing a more immersive gaming experience.
- Esports: Esports is expected to become more prevalent in the mobile gaming market, with more tournaments and events being held.
- Subscription Models: Subscription models are expected to become more popular, allowing players to access a variety of games for a monthly fee.
- Cloud Gaming: Cloud gaming is expected to become more prevalent, allowing players to play high-quality games on their mobile devices without the need for expensive hardware.
- Increased Monetization: Mobile games are expected to become more monetized, with more in-game purchases and advertising.
- Social Gaming: Social gaming is expected to become more popular, allowing players to play games with friends and family.
Ten Most Interesting Mobile Games for 2021
- Genshin Impact: This action role-playing game is set in the world of Teyvat and features an open-world environment.
- Among Us: This multiplayer game involves players trying to identify impostors among the crew on a spaceship.
- Call of Duty Mobile: This first-person shooter game features various multiplayer modes and battle royale.
- Mario Kart Tour: This racing game features various courses inspired by real-world cities and characters from the Mario franchise.
- PUBG Mobile: This battle royale game features various modes and allows players to play with friends.
- Roblox: This multiplayer game allows players to create their virtual worlds and games and has a massive user base.
- Candy Crush Saga: This puzzle game has a simple match-three gameplay and has a massive player base.
- Pokemon Go: This augmented reality game allows players to catch and collect Pokemon in the real world.
- Asphalt 9: Legends: This racing game features various cars, tracks, and multiplayer modes.
- Clash of Clans: This strategy game allows players to build their village, train troops, and battle with other players.
The global mobile gaming market is a rapidly growing industry, driven by increased smartphone penetration and improved internet connectivity. The market is set to reach $98.4 billion in revenue in 2021, and it is expected to continue growing in the coming years. Hyper-casual games are a new trend in the mobile gaming market, accounting for a significant portion of all game downloads in 2020. The ten most interesting mobile games for 2021 include Genshin Impact, Among Us, Call of Duty Mobile, Mario Kart Tour, PUBG Mobile, Roblox, Candy Crush Saga, Pokemon Go, Asphalt 9: Legends, and Clash of Clans.
Several trends are expected to shape the mobile gaming market in the future, including increased adoption of 5G, integration of augmented reality, the rise of esports, subscription models, cloud gaming, increased monetization, and social gaming. As the mobile gaming market continues to grow, game developers must stay up-to-date with these trends to remain competitive and offer the best gaming experience to their users.
In conclusion, the mobile gaming market has experienced tremendous growth in recent years, driven by increased smartphone penetration and improved internet connectivity. The global mobile gaming market is set to continue growing, with several trends expected to shape the industry in the future. Game developers must stay up-to-date with these trends to remain competitive and offer the best gaming experience to their users. With the continued growth and innovation in the mobile gaming industry, the future looks bright for mobile gaming.